Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Soy Trouble



Ever since I diagnosed myself as "lactose intolerant" four years ago, I've been trying to include soy into my diet as much as possible. Soy milk is the best way to go because you can use it for practically anything that requires milk: cereal, sauces, coffee etc. And if you're not a fan of regular soy milk, you can try out vanilla or chocolate (although I'm not really a big fan of them). When I first tried soy milk, I'll admit, I really really really didn't like it. I think this is because I was told it tastes like cow's milk when, in actuality, It tastes nothing like it. However, now I'd prefer soy milk over cow's milk anyday! If you find you just can't seem to get into the habit of drinking soy milk, you can also try eating soybeans, tofu, or soy yogurt.

Studies show that having 25 grams of soy protein in your diet can reduce your cholesterol level and even prevent heart disease. It can also help protect you against breast, colon, lung, and prostate cancer, osteoporosis, and kidney disease. Nowadays, many people choose soy milk over cow's milk, even if they aren't allergic. This is because, compared to cow's milk, soy milk has no lactose or synthetic hormones and contains only vegetable proteins. Thus, it's also an excellent alternative for vegetarians.

However, after reading an article about the dangers of soy, I'm beginning to get a bit skeptical.

Apparently soy:

-contains phytic acid which stops your body from absorbing calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc
-contains aluminum (who would have thought!) which may jeopardize your nervous system and kidneys
-contains phytoestrogens which may potentially cause infertility and promote breast cancer
-increases the body's requirement for Vitamin B12 analogs and Vitamin D

[to read more about the disadvantages of soy, go to: http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/03summary.htm ]

So, right now, I'm torn between the two! I'm not really sure which side to believe, but I'd like to believe soy is beneficial because I really don't want to stop drinking it. Without my soy, I'd be lost!

And now, for your enjoyment, some interesting facts on soy:

1) Soy was first used as a food during the late Chou dynasty (1134-246 BC), only after the Chinese learned to ferment soy beans to make foods like tempeh, natto and tamari.

2) A recent study found that women with the highest levels of estrogen in their blood had the lowest levels of cognitive function; In Japanese Americans tofu consumption in mid-life is associated with the occurrence of Alzheimer’s disease in later life.

3)Numerous animal studies show that soy foods cause infertility in animals. Soy consumption enhances hair growth in middle-aged men, indicating lowered testosterone levels. Japanese housewives feed tofu to their husbands frequently when they want to reduce his virility.

Who would have ever thought that soy would be this effective!

Are you a soy supporter?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too am troubled by the conflicting information. What are we to do & who to believe. I have always been a firm believer in that too much of anything is not good.