Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Back Attack




Okay, either I'm suffering from an unrecalled back injury or, simply put, I'm just getting old (If the latter is the case, then I won't be looking forward to my birthday next week!) Fortunately, I'm pretty sure Arthritis is out of the question for a 19 year old. Whatever the case may be, I hope the pain decides to take a vacation sometime soon!

Although I'm not exactly sure what is causing my back to rebel, I have a feeling it has something to do with the way I sleep. Either that, or I spend too much time huddled over my keyboard on MSN Messenger. However, MayoClinic.com insists that, for many cases, the causes for back pain are not obvious. They also claim that four out of five adults suffer from back pain at least once in their lives -yikes!

Apparently, certain conditions may cause back pain as well:
  • Herniated Disk - when disk material presses on a nerve.
  • Sciatica- when a herniated disk impinges on the sciatic nerve causing sharp, shooting pain through the buttocks and back of the leg.
  • Spinal Stenosis - when the space around the spinal cord and nerve roots narrows due to arthritis and bone overgrowth. This can press or pinch a nerve.
  • Spondylosis - a type of arthritis affecting the spine. It is due to the degenerative changes in the spine that often come with aging.
  • Spondylolisthesis - when one vertebra in the spinal column slips forward over another.

There are also the more serious cases:



  • Cauda equina syndrome - a serious neurological problem causing weakness in the legs, numbness in the "saddle" or groin area, and loss of bowel or bladder control.
  • Cancer in the spine - A tumor on the spine can press on a nerve causing back pain.
  • Infection of the spine - If a feer and a tender, warm area accompany back pain, the cause could be an infection.
  • Injury - Damage to the bones, ligaments, or muscles of the back can cause severe pain.

Luckily, one can do many things to prevent such injuries: exercise, build muscle strength and flexibility, quit smoking, maintain a healthy weight, stand smart, lift smart, sleep smart and sit smart. (You can read more about back pain prevention at http://mayoclinic.com/health/back-pain/DS00171/DSECTION=6 )


Taking care of your back is probably the most important thing you can do. Remember, you've only got one spine, so take care of it!

For more information on back pain/ injuries, please visit http://mayoclinic.com/health/back-pain/DS00171

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A very good blog. I had almost the serious Cauda Equina but I was lucky; had an emergency operation in Göttingen. The doctors in Wales did not do anything in time! Read my Blog if you like: http://netty-lebeninwales.blogspot.com/index.html