Thursday, May 24, 2007

Dazed and Confused

Yup. I've done it again. Just when I thought I had all the answers I find myself back at square one.

-Oh, you're probably wondering what I'm talking about, aren't you?

Well, just the other day I officially broke a world record: it has now been the 1,254th time I've changed my mind about my career path. Over the years I've patiently deliberated about what I want to do with my life and, over time, came up with a few answers: Marketing, Criminology, Dental Hygiene, Teaching, Journalism, Editing, Psychology, Media Arts, Acting -you get the idea.

You'd think that after all this contemplating I'd be frustrated and annoyed, right? Amazingly, I'm actually the complete opposite. That's right; I'm happy I've changed my mind so many times. I figure if I find out what I want as a career afterwards, I won't be a happy camper. I know of many people who went to school, got their degrees, and started their jobs. Sounds peachy, doesn't it? Well, it definitely would have been if it wasn't for the fact that they really didn't like their jobs and decided to go back to school. This is why I'm glad I'm doing the hair-pulling, teeth-grinding decision making now. I'm okay with making mistakes, but that seems like too much schooling to me!

So, what have I decided this time? I'm thinking something along the lines of Philosophy and teaching. I discovered that Philosophy is something I really enjoy, and that teaching isn't as scary as I thought it was. Tutoring has definitely given me a new perspective on the education field. I've learned so much and feel eager to learn more. It's amazing how satisfying it is to help people.

Not only am I deciding what I want career-wise, I'm coming to terms with what I want to do with my life in general. I know that I want to travel sometime during the 4 years I'm working towards my degree. I think this would be the perfect time to do it because I want to start career-hunting right after I'm done school and, if I do that, I may not have the time to travel. Some places I'd absolutely love to see are Australia, Egypt, and India. I'm really set on visiting the rainforests, pyramids, temples and different forms of architecture. Gosh, I'm getting all excited just by talking about it!

Those are all the plans I came up with so far, but I'm sure I'll come back with some more to talk about sometime soon!

What are your life goals?

No comments: