Thursday, June 7, 2007

What a Wonder-ful World

Ever wonder which countries get the most visitors each year? According to statistics, France is the most popular destination in the world, raking in a whopping 76.7 million visitors a year! Several other countries follow close behind:

2) Spain - 51.7 million visitors
3) U.S. - 41.9 million visitors
4) Italy - 39.8 million visitors
5) China - 36.8 million visitors

(statistics derived from http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Most-Popular-Travel-Destinations-In-The-World&id=140398)


(picture courtesy of http://www.visitingdc.com/images/eiffel-tower-picture.jpg)

Now, I'm sure those places are nice and everything -and believe me, I'd love to see them- but right now, I've got my eyes set on good 'ole "Ελλάδα," better known as "Greece."

A few days ago, I came across a program that allows you to study AND live in Greece for an entire semester. Can you imagine going to Athens and Olympia, and visiting Aristotle's birthplace in Stageira, then going to the beautiful beaches and eating Souvlaki and -okay, I think you get the picture.

Ever since I started my Philosophy course (Values & Contemporary Issues), I've been practically obsessed with the subject -yeah, I know, I'm a philosophy nerd. I just love how it relates to aspects that affect your everyday life: decision-making, morals and values. It really makes you think, too. My teacher always gives our class scenarios that make me wonder "Hmm... What would I do in that situation?" Pretty soon, I wouldn't be surprised if I found myself thinking "What would Aristotle do?" As embarassing as it is, I think I could actually see it happening!

But anyhow, back to the studying abroad program....

Apparently, there are three courses we would be required to attend while in Greece:
  • History 306-4: Reading Byzantium: Elements of History in Text
  • Humanities 385-4: The Presence of the Past: Greek Literature & Culture
  • History 307-4 ST: The World of Homer: Tradition & History

Sounds pretty interesting, doesn't it?

Have you ever studied abroad? If not, where would you like to go?

No comments: