Thursday, August 2, 2007

May the Summer Begin!




Yesterday (Wednesday August 1st) was probably one of the most exhilarating days of my life. Yep, you guessed it. It was the last day of summer classes!

Ironically, I don't regret taking summer courses. Whenever I told people I was in school for the summer, they just looked at me and said, "Are you serious?" However, I think going to school in the summer was a pretty wise idea for several reasons:

1) I would have been pretty bored if I wasn't in school. All my friends were working full time, so I wouldn't have gotten a chance to hang out with them anyway.

2) I'm all caught up now. Going to school gave me the chance to keep up with my 30 credit-per-year plans so I can graduate on time.

3) I feel like I accomplished something. Even some of my friends admitted they couldn't wait to go back to school in the fall; they were all getting bored and feeling "purposeless."

4) It will be easier to get back into "school mode" in the fall. If I were playing and working all summer, it would be pretty difficult to give that up and start school again.

5) I met some pretty interesting people along the way. I made new friends and we all got through the semester together.

Of course, a part of me wishes I could work full-time all summer and save up some of that so-called "money" I've been hearing so much about. On the other hand, someone once said to me, "You have your whole life to work, don't worry so much about that right now." I guess you can't really put a price on education, can you?




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Alyssa, I was wondering if you'd mind me using an excerpt from one of your posts in a textbook of English that I'm working on and planning to self-publish in Czechia. My email address is bees at uh dot cz. Thanks. Milan, the Czech Republic