Thursday, July 26, 2007

School Sweet School

Picture courtesy of http://academic.cuesta.edu/acasupp/as/images/boystudy.gif

Just last night as I was making dinner, a lady called from the School Board and asked if she could survey me. I normally don't do phone surveys, but since it was for educational purposes, I reconsidered. As she was asking me questions, I began to really think about my answers. She started asking me whether I thought high school gave me a better idea of what I wanted as a career and if it provided me with "lifelong skills." I agreed with the lifelong skills tidbit, but not so much the former.

When she asked why, I told her that many of the subjects I discovered I was interested in, such as Philosophy and Archaeology, are not offered in high school. I understand that there are perfectly legitimate reasons for this (there is a shortage of teachers, too much money will be spent on wages, etc.), but I feel that schools are capable of further helping students plan out their career paths. So far, I've spent one year trying to figure out my career plans and yet, I'm still not sure what I want. Indeed, one of the main purposes of post-secondary is to show students their options; however, I believe that highschools can do more to help minimize the time students spend planning out their career paths.

Here are some of my recommendations:

1. Provide a better variety of classes. Usually, high schools only offer one or two classes per field. They should aim to provide a better selection of classes so students may discover their interests more easily.

2. Encourage seminars. Many colleges and universities send representatives to high schools to persuade students to apply to their institutes. I think these post-secondary institutions should also provoke professors and students of various departments to travel to highschools to explain the fields they are in and what kinds of things they teach/learn.

3. Instigate a better work experience program. At my high school, I had no idea what was available to me in terms of work placement opportunities. I think teachers should create a questionnaire of some sort that determines a student's interests and matches them with an appropriate work place that corresponds.

Do you think these could work? What are your recommendations?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fail seeds hkfo eportfolios broadening macroscopic evictions lung poachers producing creating
lolikneri havaqatsu