Thursday, July 5, 2007

Transit Etiquette

Usually I'm not the one to complain or get annoyed easily, but lately I've been noticely a lack of courtesy and respect from passengers using public transit. Just this morning I encountered a very hostile young man (probably in his late 20's or early 30's) on the skytrain while commuting to work. I'm not exactly sure what happened to make him uneasy, but let me tell you, he was not a happy camper. I think it was because he and another fellow (probably in his mid 40's) had previously argued about who took who's seat. At least, I think that's what they were fighting about. But anyways, the two men parted and took a seat in different areas; the other fellow sat in the middle and Hostile Man sat in the far end of the skytrain, just across from me. Suddenly, Hostile Man began ranting and raving to himself for a good 10 minutes, using vulgar, obscene, and highly inappropriate language. Now don't get me wrong, swearing I can handle, but I've never heard someone publicly rant as atrociously as Hostile Man.

As I looked around the skytrain, I noticed all the passengers tense up in discomfort. Finally, Hostile Man's stop was next, so he got up (still ranting) and waited by the doors. Then (this is the fun part), he decided to use me as his catharsis pole. Next thing I know, Hostile Man is rudely directing his offensive murmurs towards me; he even started making personal attacks, commenting on my "Little Miss Trouble" t-shirt and reciting things I never want to be repeated again. So what did I do, you may ask? Nothing. What could I do?

So, you see, I direct my point to all you choleric crazies out there: When taking public transit, please have some respect for the people around you.

Mind you, I'm not just talking about unbecoming verbal manners, I'm talking about physical manners too. Here are a few courtesy guidelines that I think would make the transit environment better if followed:

1) Remove your backpack. No one likes to get getting knocked over by a backpack when someone turns around.

2) Give up your seats to the elderly. This one is just common courtesy; it's simply a matter of respecting your elders. Plus, don't you feel bad when senior citizens who can barely walk come onto the skytrain and there's no seats available for them? (That's right, I'm using the guilt trip!)

3) Don't talk so loud on your cell. Let's face it; sometimes we really really really need to talk on the phone. That's fine, but remember that there's other people around you who really don't want to hear about how Amanda's in a dilemma because she can't find her red pumps.

4) Don't take up too seats unless you absolutely have to. Does your jacket really need its own chair? Didn't think so.

5) Watch where you're going. We all have places to be and things to do, but rushing will only get you to wherever you want to go a few seconds sooner and anger the people around you.



Thanks for listening to me vent; I found this very soothing. And I didn't mean to sound cold or mean or anything like that; I just have a dream that the world could be a happy place for everyone!

No comments: