Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Music to My Ears :-)

I have some very exciting news! I'm not sure if you remember, but a while back, I mentioned how I wanted to take guitar lessons. Ever since then, I've been trying to teach myself some chords. However, I only got as far as learning 3 notes. I figured this was enough of a reason for me to swallow my pride and sign up for lessons... so I did! My first class is on Thursday and I'm just a wee bit nervous (but oh so excited)!

Thinking about playing the guitar brought my attention to a very important issue: I haven't written a blog entry about music yet! :-O Having said this, here it goes...

Way way waaaay back in the day I used to be a huge fan of Sharon, Lois, and Bram. Remember them? They were the ones who sang "Peanut Butter and Jelly." I can't imagine how much I must have driven my parents up a wall just listening to this song! I think I still might have their cassette! Then there was also that occasional Barney song -but I won't get into that (I'd rather spare myself the embarassment!)

Shortly after that, when I was about eight-ish, I started developing an obsession with Bryan Adams. I remember I even got the chance to meet his parents; they were so sweet! His mom even gave me a book about him (I'm surprised I didn't frame it). Then, a few short years later, I became one of those pathetic preteens who bought those ridiculous platform shoes and knew every word to every Spicegirls song. I even got a Scary Spice barbie for Christmas (I still have it :-D). Ironically, they were even a part of the saddest day of my childhood life: the day the Spicegirls concert sold out. After that, I convinced myself that I was going to camp outside of GM Place and wait for them to come out of the arena. Mom and Dad, however, didn't seem too impressed with this idea.

In high school, I became that girl who thought she was so cool because she listened to Rap and R&B and knew all the lyrics to each and every song. I think I even tried to have a rap battle once (won't get into that one either).

However, things began to change once I got a job at HMV in grade 11. I was forced to listen to different types of music and, eventually, discovered my love for all types of music! I realized that I enjoy listening to each genre of music at different times: if I was upset, I'd listen to Punk; if I was happy, I'd listen to Rock; if I was sad, I'd listen to R&B; if I was energetic, I'd listen to Rap. Usually, this seemed to do the trick. After all, a man once said, "Music is what feelings sound like."

Now, I still listen to all sorts of music. However, my absolute favourite artist of all time is Lauryn Hill. I've never listened to an album and loved all the songs before until I listened to "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill." Her voice is so smooth and unique, and the fact that she sings with so much soul definitely sets her aside from other artists. She's been due for another album for quite some time now, but unfortunately complications with her record label have put this project on hiatus. Although, she is featured on latest Joss Stone album "Introducing." I'll have to take a listen to that!

No comments: