Friday, March 16, 2007

The Cold: for Better or for Worse?

It's pretty much a common rule to stay home from school when you're feeling utterly and miserably sick, but, sometimes, people abuse this rule a little too much. I, too, am guilty of such a crime. When I was little, I remember I would always use any teeny tiny signs of being sick as an excuse to stay home. But I find I don't tend to use the whole, "my nose is runny" speech anymore. Now, I find that those signs are actually an advantage.

The average person might say that "being ill affects one's ability to concentrate and work hard." This may be true, but in my case, I find it does the exact opposite. When I'm 'suffering' from a cold or minor sickness of some sort, it actually helps me focus. It's almost as if the fact that being sick is a drawback serves as a motivation for me; since I know I have a disadvantage, I'm willing to try harder. Although, if I'm REALLY sick, I tend to have a motivation to sleep [but I've never fallen asleep in class... ever, I swear! ;) ].

It's been almost two weeks that I've been sick, and quite frankly, I'm getting a little annoyed! Sure, it helps me out in school and everything, but this little bug is just refusing to check out! Fortunately, my symptoms seem to be gradually disappearing, so maybe I won't be sick for much longer (hopefully!) . And what's worse, I can't even turn to my regular dosage of chocolate for comfort since I gave it up for lent. Although, I'm rather proud of myself for not touching the stuff!

p.s. Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!

No comments: