Thursday, February 15, 2007

Wikipedia Banned from American College?

Apparently, Middlebury College in Virginia has banned students from using the famous informational website 'Wikipedia,' claiming "Wikipedia is not an acceptable citation, even though it may lead one to a citable source."

I completely agree with this movement considering the information on the website isn't properly edited. Wikipedia allows random speculators to change the information without having the data confirmed by a second opinion. This most definitely puts students at risk for accumulating the wrong information. However, I can't say that I'm completely against it. After all, I've used it a few times myself! Even though I have used the website before, I've never used the information for project research for school (honestly!). I think the website does help people to get the jist of an idea, but the details in the articles, on the other hand, are very misleading. At first, I didn't know that the articles were vulnerable to incorrect editing, so I used the website to look up information that would feed my curiosity. As soon as I found out that the website was not such a good source after all, I stopped taking the information so seriously. So this is my warning to you: be careful!

(For those of you who haven't visited the website and are curious as to what I'm babbling about, the website is http://www.wikipedia.org)

Do you use Wikipedia?


(Information provided by http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070213/ap_on_fe_st/wikipedia_ban%3B_ylt%3DApzVgnEPOOWeWes.joDihpeek3Qf )

No comments: